September 6, 2007

cookies and brownies


My craving for brownies started sometime ago when I saw them on the cover of a recent FOOD magazine issue. The rich and fudgy looking bars were not just what got my attention but it was also all the different varieties and possibilities presented. It has been sometime since I've had really great brownies from scratch so I guess it was time to give it a try. My first concern though was my husband doesn't care for chocolate because there's something in it that just doesn't agree with his taste buds so I made some white chocolate chip cookies especially for him. On the other hand, I'm a chocolate fan. I've already purchased the chocolate bar (dark and bittersweet from Nestle's new chocolate line) which has been sitting in the pantry for a few days and was eager to test the recipe. This was the easiest and quickest brownie recipe I've tried so far. The result was an intensely dark (too bad it doesn't appear as dark in the photos above) and definitely loaded with chocolate (used the entire 8 oz bar) with additional European dark cocoa in the batter. It turned out exactly the way I was hoping it to be. I made the chocolate chip cookie dough ahead and while it was chilling in the fridge, I whipped up the brownies. After the brownies were done, I baked the cookies next. I substituted chopped walnuts for the macadamias, which would have been the best choice. The walnuts were a good substitute but next time I will use macadamias and try adding butterscotch chips instead of white chocolate chips. I have to say these are still two of the best comfort sweet snacks in my list of favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment