September 2, 2008

vanilla frozen yoghurt


It seems like this light and refreshing treat is gaining much publicity these days due to successful frozen yoghurt shops like Pinkberry and many more. Even in Manila, I heard the craze is on. I've been reading a few foodblogs comparing the quality of the many competing frozen yoghurt shops out there. However, frozen yoghurt is definitely not something new but it's definitely getting a successful revival and comeback these days. Is it just a fad or is it here for good? Only time will tell. For my initial attempt to make it at home, I found a recipe for a basic vanilla flavored version.
My husband bought this Italian-made Musso Lussino ice cream maker (shown above) many years ago back in his bachelor days when he got serious into ice cream making. It has been years since this ice cream maker has been used. I've always wanted to try it but I just couldn't bring myself to get all the fattening ingredients like heavy cream and eggs that I know we should at least try to avoid. Reading about frozen yoghurt as a healthier option was the turning point. Frozen yoghurt is one of the easiest to make with no cooking involved. I just whisked 1/2 cup of half & half (regular milk may be used), 1/4 cup sugar, 2 cups of plain yoghurt and half a teaspoon of flavoring in a medium size bowl. This mixture was transferred to the ice cream maker then my husband set the timer to 30 minutes. With this type of ice cream machine, this is the ideal setting for homemade ice cream. The mild tart yoghurt flavor makes this treat just right and not too sweet. Served with cold diced summer fruits (we had sweet mangoes, blueberries and nectarines), the flavor was so fresh, creamy but light on the palate.

Additional sliced mangoes and green grapes were served on the side

No comments:

Post a Comment