January 9, 2009

green curry shrimp

I just run out of red curry paste but green Thai curry was such a refreshing alternative. Together with rich coconut milk, curry pastes are essential in Thai cooking. It's great that we have a supply of fresh kaffir lime leaves and lemongrass as well since the combination of flavors adds to the authenticity of the Thai dish. I was craving shrimps but my husband's allergic to them so I had to do it separately. The beef was sliced very thinly across the grain, cooked with some sliced onions, seasoned with salt and pepper and simmered until tender. I set this aside, then in a separate pan, I pan-fried the shrimps in small amount of oil until just cooked. To save time, they can just be cooked in the curry sauce. In a saucepan, sautee some sliced onions, then add about 2-3 tablespoons or more of green curry paste or according to taste. Heat for a few minutes until fragrant before adding the coconut milk. Add some sliced oyster or straw mushrooms, crushed kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass and sliced green bell peppers. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer the sauce well and divide into two equal parts. Simmer the beef and shrimps separately in the curry sauce and serve hot with steamed rice. Garnish with sliced green onions. I usually like making shrimp curry at home where I can get all the shrimp I want and the big ones too : ) I remember my sister-in-law makes a version of this with yellow curry and sliced potatoes and carrots. Curries are very rich and satisfying with the coconut milk complementing the spicy flavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment