February 16, 2009

Mongolian beef stir-fry

I know a few people who cook everyday and I'm happy to say that I'm one of them. For me, cooking has never been a chore. I enjoy it then and now. The love for cooking has been passed on to me by my mother, who was quite an avid cook. Cookbooks and culinary magazines have been inspiring me since I was young. Now, it's the internet, with all the amazing food websites and blogs out there. Websites like Tastespotting and Foodgawker, are just two of my many favorites. I like browsing the many professional looking photos and checking out the recipes, especially when I run out of ideas on what to cook. There are many other ways to get ideas. Like the other day, when I was staring at the chunk of meat that I thawed out. I was undecided on what to do with it. I wanted to make something new or some Asian dish with it. Good thing I got a call from my cousin and as we were discussing dinner, she gave me this idea. It turned out great with a hint of sweetness to balance the flavors. It had a nice mix of vegetables and looked appetizing and colorful. For a "quick fire" meal (you can tell I've been watching too many Top Chef episodes) here it goes:

MONGOLIAN BEEF STIR-FRY

1 lb sirloin, beef chuck or sirloin, sliced thinly
2 Tbsps brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste
fresh ginger strips
sliced purple onions
minced garlic
carrot strips
broccoli florets
whole walnuts or peanuts, optional
sliced green onions for garnish

Marinate the beef slices in salt, pepper and brown sugar while preparing the vegetables. Mix 1/2 cup soy sauce, 3/4 cup water, 2 tsps sesame oil and 2 tstps cornstarch together for the sauce. Brown the beef slices in small batches in a amount of oil in a skillet or wok. Drain and set aside. In the same skillet or wok, saute ginger strips, garlic and onions in some oil. Add the walnuts and cook for a few minutes. Add the vegetables and stir-fry until half-cooked. Set the vegetables aside and pour in the sauce mixture. Simmer until thickened. Add a little water if sauce is too thick. Quickly mix in the cooked beef. Transfer to a serving dish. Garnish with sliced green onions. Serve hot with steamed rice or Asian noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment