May 13, 2009

whole roast chicken

As of now, I can name only three favorite shows I enjoy watching on the Food Network, Giada at Home, Tyler's Ultimate and Barefoot Contessa. What I love about these shows are they are relaxing to watch, they have easy to follow recipes which look and taste good, the host chefs all have pleasing personalities and they show clear close ups of the food preparations and the food.

I learned how to make this moist, very tender and delicious roast chicken from Ina Garten or Barefoot Contessa. I have put aside this recipe and it took me awhile to try it. I would always think that nothing can beat the convenience of those rotisserie roast chickens at the grocery. But convenience and taste sometimes don't go together. When my husband and I had this roast chicken for the first time, we concluded that it was far better than the grocery rotisserie chicken. There are very few changes I made to the recipe. I had no fresh thyme so I replaced it with herbes de provence combined with a generous sprinkling of salt and pepper. I think it's quite important to marinate the chicken in the refrigerator for at least overnight or up to 2 days. This procedure made the chicken very flavorful. I also used red potatoes along with carrots and onions for the vegetables. I covered the chicken with an aluminum foil tent for the first hour of cooking then removed the foil and set the oven to broil to brown the chicken skin. Next time I make this, I need to add a little water to the vegetables to prevent them from burning and to evenly cook the potatoes. For the complete recipe and for a cooking demonstration video showing the Barefoot Contessa preparing and cooking the chicken, please click on this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment