March 11, 2011

caramel popcorn treat

Craving sweet and buttery caramel popcorn, I searched for the top rated recipe online and found this. The ingredients were basic pantry staples. I like the crispier version too but the first batch I baked was slightly overcooked. Still good but had a little burnt sugar aftertaste so I made sure I stirred and checked the following batch often. The photo below shows the caramel popcorn prior to baking.


CARAMEL POPCORN

6 cups plain popcorn
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup honey or corn syrup (I used honey)
3 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

Combine brown sugar, honey and butter in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda, salt and vanilla. Slowly drizzle mixture on the popcorn. Use a rubber spatula to mix. At this stage, the caramel popcorn will be sticky and gooey but ready to eat. If you prefer a crispier texture, continue to bake at 250F until lightly toasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment