March 22, 2012

scallion pancakes


 

There were times on weekends when we just feel like snacking on chips or whatever is convenient. I've always wanted to learn how to make scallion pancakes after reading about them sometime ago. They seem to be a very popular appetizer to order in Chinese restaurants. However, I've never had a chance to try them at any of the Chinese restaurants we've been to so my curiosity led me to finally make them at home.

                           

I found a very informative step by step tutorial with great photos on how to make scallion pancakes, thanks to The Kitchn website. The pancakes were pan fried in a little oil (I used a well seasoned cast iron skillet) then cut into wedges before serving. They browned evenly, the edges were nicely toasted and the center still chewy. The scallions gave it a distinctive flavor and aroma. The dip (shown below) was a mixture of rice vinegar, water, a little soy sauce, sesame oil, thinly sliced scallions or green onions, thinly sliced red chilis and toasted sesame seeds.


No comments:

Post a Comment