June 2, 2012

pan-seared salmon with broc-cauli salad


I try my best to eat fish once a week and if I can't get it fresh, frozen tilapia fillets, canned tuna and salmon are what I would consider my best substitutes but I have to say my weakness is fresh salmon. I'm lucky to be able to get very fresh salmon (as in not even the slightest hint of fish smell) at a fish market nearby. I asked where the salmon they sell comes from and I was told from Canada. I always see a big whole salmon in the store ready to slice up or fillet. My favorite way to cook it is pan-seared just right and not dry. Just sprinkle lemon juice, salt and pepper on the salmon and let it sit for a few minutes at room temperature. Use a folded papertowel to dry the salmon before cooking. Sear on all sides until golden brown.


My husband suggested that I try to make a salad using raw cauliflower and broccoli (shown above) to serve with the salmon. It reminded me of a recipe that my friend shared with me from way back. I thought it's amusing to call it "broc-cauli" salad for short :-)

BROC-CAULI SALAD 

2-3 stalks broccoli
1 head cauliflower
1/2 cup gouda cheese, diced
1/4 cup crispy bacon bits
1/2 cup red radishes, thinly sliced

Cut the broccoli and cauliflower in small bite-size pieces. Wash and drain them well. A salad spinner works great for this task. Slice about 4 pieces of bacon into smaller pieces. Pan-fry until crispy and drain well. In a bowl, add strips of carrots, the crispy bacon bits, diced gouda cheese and thinly sliced red radishes. With a wire whisk, mix mayo, apple cider vinegar, a little sugar, salt and pepper until smooth. Toss the salad with the creamy dressing and keep chilled in the refrigerator until ready to serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment