October 18, 2012

roasted delicata squash




I have to say delicata squash was an excellent discovery at the start of this year's fall season. I wouldn't have found out how good this squash variety is if not for our local produce supplier. We got them once in our occasional produce order and easily became a favorite the first time we tried it. I remember seeing them at our local grocery a few times this time of the year, but I never even thought about buying one to try.

preparing the squash before roasting



Appropriately named delicata for its delicate texture, roasting helped bring out the mild flavor that can best be described as a cross between a squash and sweet potato. The delicata was more tender than the butternut variety (which is one of my favorites too) and I was surprised that it can be cooked without peeling. I just lightly scrubbed the skin and rinsed it well. It may be sliced into rings but I cut it in half before slicing to a thickness of about half and inch. Spray or brush both sides lightly with olive oil then arrange on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Roast or broil for about 15-20 minutes per side or until lightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment