September 17, 2014

Korean braised short ribs

Browsing the meat section at the grocery store one day, I found some flanken-style short ribs which instantly made me think of Korean kalbi and Korean braised short ribs. I've made kalbi once so I decided to try cooking this Korean braised specialty (shown below). Regular cut short ribs may also be used if flanken style is not available. I also mixed in a pound of boneless short ribs for extra meat. Marinating overnight works best to add more flavor before cooking.


I'm glad I used the Instant Pot (shown below) to make this dish. The meat got infused with so much flavor and fall-off- the-bone tender. I've used it many times now.


It's funny when my husband surprised me with this Instant Pot pressure/multi-cooker, I was totally speechless. I've never heard of it before so I was clueless about it. To be honest, I've never pressure-cooked anything before. I remember when I was a kid, my aunt sent my mother a pressure cooker from the US. She never used it but it remained on our kitchen shelf until now. The avocado green finish has become dull and the rubber seal got brittle and broke over the years but it still sits on its permanent spot. I was even hesitant to use a pressure cooker for fear that it may explode. This modern pressure cooker is so much easier to use and it makes the best stews and soups in minutes.


A bowl of sauteed sliced cabbage and carrot strips with sesame oil and a platter of soba noodles completed our meal. Steamed rice may also be served.

For the recipe...
KOREAN BRAISED SHORT RIBS

1 package (about 2 lbs) flanken-style short ribs, spare ribs or regular cut short ribs
1 lb boneless short ribs (optional)
1/3 cup sliced green onions
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons honey mixed with a little water
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
2 teaspoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons mirin (Japanese rice wine)
2 tablespoons Sriracha hot sauce (optional)
ground pepper

Combine all the ingredients together. The soy sauce may be adjusted according to taste. Place meat in a big bowl or ziploc bag and toss well with the marinade. Marinate for 4 hours or overnight. Cook in a slow-cooker until very tender or use a pressure cooker and cook for 20-25 minutes or refer to the cooking manual. Garnish with sliced green onions and toasted sesame seeds before serving.

2 comments:

  1. Did you have to add additional liquid to cook this on the pressure cooker function of the Instant Pot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi...no need to add extra water (unless you like it a bit soupy)...the liquid in the marinade was enough for my taste...pressure cooking retains much of the liquid in the dish.

    ReplyDelete