September 1, 2015

gluten-free chocolate cake


Finally, a chocolate cake that my husband will eat :-) It has nothing to do with gluten intolerance. His aversion to chocolate is the issue here :-) However, I'm happy that he found one particular brand he likes, Lindt, which easily became his favorite.


I found this recipe for gluten-free chocolate cake sometime ago and I knew I needed to try making it with Lindt. I used Lindt Milk Chocolate Classic Recipe Bar. Most of the time, I feel guilty (but maybe for a few seconds only :-) that he doesn't get to try any of the chocolate desserts I make. Dark chocolate is ideal for this recipe but I used milk chocolate for milder taste.


For the recipe...
GLUTEN-FREE CHOCOLATE CAKE


4 large eggs, at room temperature, separated
200 grams sugar, divided
200 grams butter, softened (I used butter + vegetable oil combination)
200 grams semi-sweet dark or milk chocolate (I used plain Lindt milk chocolate)
200 grams almond flour, sifted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Line a 9" round cake pan with parchment paper and grease the sides with baking spray. Break up the chocolate and heat over a double boiler or microwave 1-2 minutes until melted. Set aside. Beat the eggwhites to soft peaks then add 50 grams of the sugar gradually. Continue beating until stiff. Set aside. Cream butter and the rest of the sugar until very light and fluffy. Add the eggyolks one at a time beating well after each addition. Add vanilla. Stir in the almond flour and melted chocolate. Mix well. Fold in the beaten eggwhites. Pour into the pan. Bake at 350F for 50-55 minutes. Insert a toothpick in the center of the cake to test. Just like with brownies, it's fine if there are still a few crumbs clinging to the toothpick. Allow to cool before inverting onto the serving plate. The cake may be refrigerated to set. Sprinkle powdered sugar on top before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment