Assembling all the ingredients was time consuming, but may always be done ahead. Store the chopped vegetables in covered or sealed containers in the fridge until ready to serve.
Here are seven easy steps to follow for the tostadas:
1. Brown lean ground beef and season with salt, pepper and some southwestern spice like cumin to taste.
2. Chop the following ingredients: cilantro, red and green bell peppers, avocados, tomatoes, iceberg or any lettuce variety, green onions, and jalapenos.
3. Arrange all the ingredients on a big tray or assemble them in smaller bowls.
4. Set aside some grated Mexican or cheddar cheese, enchilada sauce and light sour cream in separate bowls.
5. Poach the eggs and set aside on a serving plate.
6. Sprinkle flour tortillas with grated cheese. Broil for a few minutes or until the tortillas are toasted and the cheese has melted.
7. Assemble or make your own tostadas. Sprinkle additional chopped cilantro for garnish.