August 31, 2006

Moroccan chicken

Took a two week break to visit family and didn't find time to do any posting while I was gone. Back home now and just about done with everyday chores. I'm finally starting to get back to our daily routine. Before I left, I thought I could post this new recipe I tried, Moroccan Chicken, which I found under Mediterranean Cooking, in one of the series of cookbooks I've been relying on for years now. The color of the dish as well the flavor is so intense, with the addition of saffron and paprika. An easy dish I would definitely make again. The recipe goes like this:

MOROCCAN CHICKEN

3 garlic cloves or 1-2 tbsps. garlic paste
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. ground ginger or freshly grated
1/2 tsp. cumin
4 tbsps. olive oil
4 boneless chicken breast halves
1 large onion, finely chopped
4 tbsps. chopped fresh parsley
pinch saffron threads
2/3 cup chicken stock ( or bouillon cube )
12 green olives
finely grated peel and juice of half a lemon
salt & pepper to taste

In a small bowl, mix garlic, paprika, ginger, and cumin with 3 tbsps. olive oil. Place chicken in a shallow bowl. Pour the oil/marinade over the chicken and refrigerate for 3 - 4 hours. In a skillet, heat remaining 1 tbsp. oil. Add onion, cook 2 - 3 minutes. Add the chicken pieces with the marinade until the chicken is slightly browned. Add the parsley, saffron and chicken stock. Cover and simmer 30 minutes or until chicken is tender. Transfer the chicken to a serving platter and keep warm. To the sauce left in the pan, add the olives, lemon peel and juice. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil until the sauce is reduced to about 2/3 cup or more, depending on how much sauce is preferred. Pour the sauce over the chicken and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment