January 26, 2007

chicken piccata

Straight from Cuisine at Home sample magazine, this has become one of our favorite chicken dishes now. I've even tried substituting tilapia fish for the chicken with good results. I was just talking to my aunt the other day over the phone when she asked me for the recipe. I cooked this for her party sometime ago while I was visiting her. So I'm posting the recipe below for her. Oat or whole wheat flour may be used instead of all purpose flour for dredging or dusting the chicken.

orzo pasta tossed with fresh parsley, olive oil, salt & red pepper flakes

roasted vegetables make a good side dish

Couscous or orzo pasta may be served on the side along with some steamed veggies. I tossed the orzo pasta with some olive oil, a little salt, red pepper flakes and chopped fresh parsley to give it some flavor. Roasted vegetables are also a good side dish idea.

Chicken Piccata

4 chicken cutlets
2 T olive oil
1/4 cup white wine
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
2 T fresh lemon juice
1 T capers, drained
2 T unsalted butter
Fresh lemon slices
Chopped fresh parsley

Prepare the chicken fillets by splitting in half and pounding gently with a meat mallet. A good tip is to use plastic wrap to cover the meat while pounding. I always like to sprinkle chicken with a little lemon juice. Season the cutlets with salt and pepper. Very lightly dust with flour and saute in oil until browned and cooked through. Set aside in a serving platter and cover with foil. Add the minced garlic to the same pan with the drippings. Deglaze with wine. Add chicken broth, lemon juice and capers. Simmer for a few minutes then finish by adding the butter and lemon slices. Pour over cooked chicken and garnish with chopped parsley before serving.

2 comments:

  1. I have been searching for new recipes so I will definitely try this one. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hope you like it! thanks!

    ReplyDelete