April 25, 2009

ravioli with a dumpling maker

Although I like using our ravioli maker, which takes a little practice to get used to, I also couldn't help thinking about using other gadgets just for the fun of it. This plastic dumpling maker comes in a set of four sizes. They're perfect for calzones, empanadas, pierogi and Asian style dumplings or potstickers.

For this easy ricotta filled ravioli, I used the smallest size dumpling maker [shown above] which also works great for pierogi. The filling was a very simple ricotta cheese combined with sauteed onion, garlic, parsley, egg, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. I made the pasta dough with a standard recipe using 1 cup pasta flour [we get this durum, semolina and all purpose flour mix from King Arthur's] or all purpose flour and 1/2 cup whole wheat flour [adding whole wheat flour is optional but I like it for a healthier alternative], 1 egg and 2-3 tablespoons of water. I sprinkle the water gradually to the mixture as I go along. The Kitchenaid mixer does a good job with mixing and kneading the doug. Making pasta at home has also been so much more enjoyable with the Kitchenaid pasta maker attachments. As soon as I finished making the ravioli, I cooked them in a pot of boiling water then drained and transfered them to a serving platter.

The creamy sauce was simple as well made with the leftover ricotta. In a saucepan, I cooked some minced garlic, onions and sliced mushrooms with olive oil. In a small bowl, I whisked the leftover ricotta cheese [about a cup] with half and half, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Then I poured the mixture into the saucepan with the sauteed garlic and onions and simmered it for a few minutes until thickened. I served the sauce garnished with chopped Italian parsley with the ravioli in a separate platter. The ravioli turned out great using the smallest size dumpling maker but next time I will try to use the next bigger size to get more filling in them. Other than that, I didn't see any reason why these dumpling makers can't be used as a ravioli maker as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment