August 28, 2009

baked salmon & deviled eggs

I chose to bake some frozen wild Alaskan sockeye salmon which I got on my recent trip to the grocery. They were flash frozen and vacuum packed for convenience. I noticed that this kind of salmon has a deeper color compared to those farm-raised I used to get. The benefits of wild salmon are listed here. A light dressing with dijon mustard and a little mayo mixed with lemon juice, fresh parsley, olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper was the simple marinade that I poured on top of the salmon fillets to keep them moist while baking. I baked them at 375F. Depending on the thickness, they may need to cook for about 15-20 minutes. However, even with the oven timer set, I always make it a point to use a fork to check them since it can be so easy to overcook any kind of fish. Served with the classic deviled eggs (below) over sauteed spinach and couscous.

These classic deviled eggs (shown above) were the appetizers I served with our wild salmon dinner. This favorite picnic food are so popular that almost anybody who cooks may know how to make them. Hard-boiled eggs were sliced in half then the yolks were transferred to a bowl and mashed with some mayo (I use mayo with olive oil), dijon mustard, paprika, salt and pepper. The filling may then be spooned or piped into the eggwhite halves which served as the bowls for the classic deviled egg presentation. Additional paprika may be sprinkled on top of the eggs. I chose to decorate them with black olive slices instead. The cupcake liners were the perfect serving containers for easy clean-up. They turned out tasty, creamy and were a nice touch to our salmon dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment