September 17, 2009

double chocolate snack cake

My craving for chocolate this week led me to the Land O Lakes website once again and found a recipe for this extra dark and moist double chocolate snack cake. Browsing the well organized website with its many recipe ideas for both savory dishes and sweet treats was fun. I always rely on good tasting butter for baking but I sometimes combine it with other lighter butter blends (there are a few brands available in the market now) to somehow cut down on the calories. I was amazed at how quick and easy it was to make this cake using no eggs at all. No mixing bowls required either. All the ingredients were combined and mixed together in an 8" baking dish. I did my usual substitution though, replacing 1/2 cup of the all purpose flour with whole wheat flour. I also chopped up one extra dark chocolate bar instead of the semi-sweet chocolate chunks or morsels suggested in the recipe. Other than that, I just followed the recipe and procedure and all went well. This chocolate snack cake was just perfect for my taste, not too sweet, extra dark, moist, quick and easy to make and just the right size for a simple middle of the week chocolate craving. To serve, sprinkle with powdered sugar or make a chocolate ganache or frosting to spread on top.
a slice of the chocolate cake sprinkled with powdered sugar (above)

I used dutch process cocoa which made
the cake extra dark but regular cocoa may also be used.

No comments:

Post a Comment