January 15, 2010

blackened fish fillets

To eat lightier after all the rich food during the past holidays is one of my goals these days. It's not easy to do but it's worth trying. I have only one word to describe this fish fillet dish ~ easy. It was so quick and easy that thawing out the fish took more time than cooking it. We particularly like tilapia fillets but any kind of white fish fillets will work for this. Blackening is a cooking technique used in traditional cajun and creole cuisine. Instead of dipping the fillets in melted butter, I just brushed them generously with olive oil. I used a combination of salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder and yellow cornmeal for the seasonings. The olive oil made the seasonings adhere well to the fish forming a crust. Place them on a greased or foil-lined baking dish then drizzle a little more olive oil on top. Broil the fillets for about 10-15 minutes or until done. I tried to broil them in our toaster oven, which I prefer to use for smaller baking and broiling jobs, and it worked quite well. The yellow cornmeal helped brown the fish topping evenly. Instead of cornmeal, regular breadcrumbs may also be used.

No comments:

Post a Comment