February 20, 2010

cinnamon rolls with baker's cinnamon filling

One of my favorite food-related websites to check out is Baker's Catalogue. Aside from the many inspiring recipes and ideas, I also love browsing the ingredients and other baking supplies they offer. We've been ordering regularly from them for quite sometime now and I must say we've never been disappointed with any of their products. One of our most recent purchase was a bag of Baker's Cinnamon Filling. I got curious and wanted to give it a try after reading so many excellent reviews about it. After tasting the initial batch of cinnamon rolls I baked, I have to say we're very satisfied with the product. As proof of how good it is, I've been baking cinnamon rolls every week now since we got it and I'm not even sure if I can ever stop unless, of course, I run out of it. The easy to mix and spread filling made the cinnamon rolls really moist with a more intense cinnamon flavor. It's #1 on my next order list. That's how good it is!
The cinnamon rolls (shown above) ready to go into the oven. I sprinkled some sugar crystals on top and brushed them with eggwash or beaten egg mixed with a little water. Below, the second batch of cinnamon rolls sprinkled with sugar crystals on top.
This simple recipe can also be found at the Baker's Catalogue website. I added some milk and reduced the water to 1/2 cup. I will also try to use a combination of white whole wheat and all purpose flour next time.
CINNAMON ROLLS
3 tbsps. butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup warm milk
1/2 cup lukewarm water
3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp. salt
3 tbsps. sugar
3 tbsps. non fat dry milk
1 tbsp. yeast
Filling:
1 cup chopped nuts
3/4 to 1 cup Baker's Cinnamon Filling
3-4 tbsps. water
Pour the water, milk and butter into the bread machine pan. Add the flour, salt, dry milk, sugar and yeast. Set the machine to Dough setting which is 1 1/2 hrs total kneading and resting time. Take out the risen dough and roll out into a rectangle, about 1/4" thick. Mix the cinnamon filling and the water together. Add a little more water if needed to get the right spreading consistency. Spread the filling evenly on the dough. Sprinkle the chopped nuts on top. Roll the dough and cut into 12 equal parts. Arrange cut side up on a greased or lined pan. Brush with eggwash. Sugar crystals may be sprinkled on top. Bake at 350F for about 35 to 40 minutes or until done.

No comments:

Post a Comment