July 17, 2010

weekend baking

This was one of the most successful recipes I've tried recently straight from the Baker's Catalogue website. I usually follow the exact recipe when I make it for the first time. I've found out that I often had to adjust it based on the outcome. This recipe for doughnut muffins need no other adjustments or changes. I didn't expect them to rise this high but I was thrilled when I saw them in the oven (below). As soon as they come of the oven, brush them with melted butter then press or roll the tops well in cinnamon sugar mixture. The muffins turned out excellent with the texture and flavor of cake doughnuts. A simple powdered sugar glaze and colorful sprinkles may also be used for a more colorful presentation and variation.
muffins shown rising in oven (above)
I also thought about doing some variation to our favorite cinnamon rolls by shaping the dough into a braided loaf instead. The instant cinnamon filling from Baker's Catalogue was the perfect spread for the loaf. Roll out the basic sweet bread dough into a rectangle. Mark the dough lengthwise into 3 equal parts. Spread the cinnamon filling mixture evenly along the middle section of the dough. With a dough cutter, slice the two other sections into strips. Braid the strips by overlapping them diagonally along the center. Let rise for about 20 minutes. Brush the top with beaten egg then sprinkle with sugar crystals just before baking. The sliced cinnamon loaf is show below.

No comments:

Post a Comment