September 2, 2010

roasted split chicken

This wasn't the first time I made roast chicken although this time I decided to split it for more even cooking. It was also easier to marinate it this way with most of the chicken parts soaking in the marinade. There was no need to turn them unlike with a whole chicken. Just the same, the result was moist and very tender with full flavor. We love the flavor combination of herbes de provence, garlic, butter and olive oil. This was a medium size chicken, about 5-6 lbs. I rinsed the chicken well and dried the skin with a folded papertowel. Then I sprinkled a generous amount of salt and pepper on the skin and inside the chicken cavity before brushing with olive oil and butter. Finally, I cut up some peeled yellow potatoes, onions and carrots and arranged them on the baking dish. The chicken went on top of these vegetable chunks. Other root vegetables will work great as well. I like to line my baking pan with nonstick foil for easy clean-up. Roast or bake in a convention oven at 350 to 375F for 1 and 30 minutes or until fully cooked. Baste the chicken with drippings in the pan as soon as it comes out of the oven then allow rest covered with foil for 15-20 minutes before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment