September 1, 2010

sourdough loaf bread

I try my best to do my weekly sourdough feeding and as much as possible I like to use the starter that I pour out instead of wasting and throwing it away. One of the best ways I found to use it is by making sourdough pancakes. Aside from this occasional pancake treat, I also add it to the bread I bake. I just adjust the recipe reducing the flour and water by half a cup each. Then I add a cup of the starter. So far it has worked great. This whole wheat loaf bread was the latest one I baked. I made the dough lighter by mixing all purpose, bread and whole wheat flour together instead of using 100% whole wheat.


SOURDOUGH LOAF BREAD
1 cup sourdough starter
1 cup lukewarm water
1/4 cup margarine, softened
1 egg at room temperature
2 cups unbleached bread flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup sugar or honey
1/4 cup non fat dry milk
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast

Grease and flour a 9 x 5" loaf pan or use nonstick spray. Place all the liquid or wet ingredients first in the bread machine followed by the dry ingredients. Make sure the bread machine is turned on to the dough setting which is 1 1/2 hours total kneading and rising time. Turn out the dough to a floured board. Flatten the dough gently then fold in three parts to fit the loaf pan. Allow to rise in a warm place for 25 to 30 minutes or until dough has risen about 1" above the rim of the pan. Brush with eggwash or spray with water and sprinkle with sesame seeds just before baking. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until done.

No comments:

Post a Comment