March 15, 2011

flax pancakes

I was surprised how light and fluffy these pancakes turned out. Looking for more recipes to try with the golden milled flax seeds I have in the freezer, I went to the King Arthur Flour website and found a recipe for this. I adjusted it according to the ingredients I have available. I was expecting a heavier batter with the combination of whole wheat and milled flax so I decided to  separate the eggs and fold in the beaten eggwhites into the pancake batter. It was an exceptional whole grain breakfast treat.

all stacked and ready for the butter and maple syrup



MILLED FLAX PANCAKES
(adapted from King Arthur Flour's recipe for Flax Pancakes)

3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup golden milled flax seeds (darker colored milled flax may also be used)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs (separated)
2 tablespoons oil or melted butter (I used canola oil)
2 tablespoons honey or brown sugar (I used honey)
1 3/4 cups milk
2 tablespoons sour cream

Since I didn't have buttermilk, I combined regular milk and sour cream to make 2 cups of buttermilk substitute. Let it stand for 5 minutes. In a big mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, whisk or use an electric mixer to beat the eggwhites to soft peaks. Set aside. In another bowl, whisk the eggyolks, honey, oil and milk mixture until well blended then pour into the dry ingredients. Stir until flour and milk mixture are just blended. It's fine if the batter is not very smooth. Lastly, gently fold in the beaten eggwhites into the batter. Spoon the batter on a hot griddle. Makes about 10-12 pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment