April 26, 2012

whole wheat baking


This is a much improved recipe for whole wheat pita bread that I was delighted to find at Annie's Eats foodblog. I've been using it ever since. The softness of the pita bread was the result of making a starter and letting it rest at room temperature for about 45 minutes until bubbly. I now make this all the time and stuff them with all kinds of meat and vegetable fillings. They stay soft for a few days and may be warmed up in the toaster. They can also be cut in wedges and dipped in a tzaziki or Greek yogurt and cucumber dip for a simple appetizer or snack.


The recipe for these soft whole wheat pita bread can be found here at Annie's Eats foodblog. I just followed her recipe and procedure.

Another one of my whole wheat favorites is King Arthur Flour's 100% whole wheat bread that I got straight from their website. I learned that this bread is ranked #1 by their readers and customers. Naturally, the first time I read about it, I got curious and had to try it. I have to say I agree with them. I've made this many times using thick molasses instead of honey. The molasses gave the bread a much darker color which I prefer.



Baked in a 9" x 5" loaf pan, it rose high and it's softer than other whole wheat bread recipes I've tried. I was happy with the texture as well. It's perfect for everyday sandwiches for lunch and it's even better toasted then spread with butter and jam for breakfast. The recipe can be found here at the KAF website.

No comments:

Post a Comment