July 30, 2013

zucchini pie



The heat and humidity may be unbearable at times, but I look forward to the summer season for the fresh fruits and vegetables that we get like watermelon, corn on the cob, squash and zucchini. Although I've never tried growing zucchini, I heard that it's one of the easiest vegetables to grow with bountiful harvest all summer long. Thanks to my mother-in-law for sharing this recipe :-) The pie turned out lovely. I can see how it can be made more elegant when baked and served in fancy individual ramekins.


Before I got hold of this zucchini pie recipe, we only have one favorite way to cook zucchini and that's by grilling. Somehow grilling brings out the best in the flavor of zucchini. However, I also like the simplicity of the procedure and the combination of flavors in this zucchini pie. It's more like a quiche but easier to make minus the extra effort of making the pie crust. Just combine all the ingredients and bake. It can't be easier than that :-)


The zucchini strands came out great using the Benriner turning slicer, shown above. It's a gadget that I also prefer to use for carrots and other vegetables. However, I found out that it's best to chop the strands in smaller pieces to make it easier to cut at serving time. I have to remember to do that next time. Freshly grated zucchini can also be watery. If this is the case, take an extra step to toss the grated zucchini with a little salt, allow to stand for a few minutes then squeeze out the excess water.

ZUCCHINI PIE
(shared by my mother-in-law)


2 cups shredded zucchini (gently squeeze out excess water if necessary)
3/4 cup Bisquick
3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage or Italian seasoning
3 large eggs
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
ham and mushrooms (optional)

In a bowl, beat the eggs then mix in the rest of the ingredients. Pour into a 9" pie pan. Bake at 350F for 40-45 minutes or until top is golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment