February 4, 2014

stuffed pork tenderloin

Pork tenderloins have always been one of my favorite cuts of meat to buy at the grocery. I can certainly relate to those who love anything pork-related from bacon to barbecue ribs to simple oven roasts. I was glad to have been introduced to Cuban food particularly lechon or slow-roasted pork, which is very similar to Filipino-style lechon. Every now and then, my husband and I would drive 2 hours just to eat lunch at our favorite Cuban restaurant :-) I get cravings for the complete meal of Cuban lechon, sweet plantains and moros (black beans and rice). This stuffed pork version (shown below) turned out to be a success. To prepare the pork for stuffing, butterfly or slice it horizontally to make them thinner and to facilitate rolling. Using a meat mallet, pound the pork to achieve a uniform thickness. Spread the filling mixture evenly on the butterflied pork. Roll then tie with string.


For a change, I thought about stuffing them with a mixture of spinach, parmesan cheese and finely chopped fresh mushrooms and onions. If using frozen spinach, thaw it out, drain and squeeze out excess water. Roughly chop the spinach then set aside or you may use the more convenient cut leaf spinach. Cook the chopped onions in about a tablespoon of olive oil then add the spinach and the other ingredients. Add some breadcumbs to the mixture then mix until well combined.

easy to slice ~ the spinach stuffing stayed intact at slicing and serving time

It was my first attempt at stuffing pork tenderloin. Roulade is another term for this. I was worried that the filling would fall apart when sliced but I was happy that it stayed intact. It's important to rest the pork after roasting and before slicing. The roulade may also be made a day ahead then refrigerated. Just slice about a half inch thick before reheating. Arrange them on a serving platter. They may be served with a light vinaigrette on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment