May 8, 2014

steamed tofu with diced chicken


I was struck by the beautiful presentation of this tofu dish when I first saw it featured in Nyonya Cooking website sometime ago. I knew I had to make it asap. Although having diced chicken in the original recipe, it may be adjusted to make it vegetarian.


Any combination of vegetables will work. For my version, I steamed the tofu with chopped bokchoy. I prepared the block of firm tofu by cutting it in half-inch thick slices. The tofu may be drained of excess water by setting the slices in a colander for a few minutes then laying them out on a flat surface (plate or cutting board will work) on top of papertowels then weighing them down with another small cutting board or plate. I usually do this when pan-frying tofu to at least prevent the oil from splattering. This step may not be necessary when steaming, however, I just followed the directions from Nyonya Cooking.

For the complete recipe and procedure, here's the link to the video and recipe at Nyonya Cooking website. She makes cooking look so easy with her many informative videos, recipes and ideas.

4 comments:

  1. Nice blog, thanks for sharing the recipes, do you have a facebook or tumblr page? Im not a blogspot user.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I don't have those but I appreciate your nice comment :-)

      Delete
  2. I also make tofu with veggies. I use soft tofu. No need to steam just drain the excess water. Put on a platter & slice. Saute gound pork in oil, add julienned carrots & green peas. Put a little slurry to thicken then pour on tofu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sharing your tofu version with ground pork...it sounds delicious!

      Delete