April 27, 2008

peach & blueberry cake

This classic combination of peaches and blueberries is something I just couldn't pass up every year when these luscious fruits are in season. I've always made rustic peach and blueberry crostatas in the past but I thought about substituting them for the apples in the apple cake recipe I have (also a favorite) and it worked! Thinly sliced fresh peaches were layered over the thick batter, blueberries and chopped walnuts were sprinkled on top of the peaches for some texture. A little sugar was also sprinkled on top before baking. This can also be baked in muffin pans but I found that using a 9" round cake pan made it much easier and mess-free. There are various possible fruit combinations that may be substituted. I was thinking about pineapple slices and grated coconut or mango slices for a more tropical flavor. This simple snack cake is perfect for a relaxing afternoon tea and will definitely satisfy a craving for something sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment