July 16, 2010

pork & beans Mexican style

In Manila, we have a popular dish called menudo, which is basically made of pork simmered in tomato sauce with diced potatoes and carrots. I was thinking of menudo when I made this dish the other day. Menudo mainly has traditional Spanish flavors but for a variation, I decided to give this dish more of a Mexican touch instead. Diced up lean pork loin, seasoned with salt, chili powder and a dash of cumin, were slightly browned in olive oil. Transfer them to a colander or plate lined with papertowel as they brown. In the same skillet, add the chopped onions, adding more oil if needed. Cook the onions for a few minutes before adding the chopped red bell pepper, green onions and the black beans. I had a little garbanzo beans or chickpeas and corn kernels leftover from a salad I made so I added them too. I used canned black beans which I rinsed under running water then drained. Transfer the cooked pork back to the skillet and toss with the other ingredients. Adjust the seasonings if needed. Lastly, I also added about 1/4 cup of liquid from a jar of pickled jalapenos. Serve with a garnish of chopped green onions and sprinkle with grated cheese. For a quick meal or snack idea, fill warm corn tortillas with the pork and beans then top with grated cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment