May 15, 2014

drop cookies


Very quick to make with a few basic ingredients, these retro drop cookies were exactly what I was reminiscing about. Many years ago, my mother's friend used to bake and share with us her old-fashioned chocolate drop cookies like those shown above. I never asked her for the recipe but now that I think about those chocolate cookies, I wish I did. Thank goodness for the internet, somehow I found a similar recipe. It was just a classic drop cookie recipe, nothing fancy and complicated. I adjusted the recipe and substituted a few ingredients to make a cinnamon chip version for my husband.


Interested in the recipe?
CHOCOLATE DROP COOKIES (makes about 32 cookies)

1/4 cup softened butter
1/4 cup butter-flavored Crisco
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1/4 cup dutch-process cocoa (I used all-purpose baking cocoa from King Arthur Flour)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Cream butter, Crisco and sugar until very light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add the egg and continue beating. Add the vanilla. Gradually add the flour mixture, mix well. Use a tablespoon to measure and drop the cookie batter onto parchment paper lined cookie sheet. The addition of Crisco will prevent them from spreading too much.Bake at 350F for 10-12 minutes or until edges of the cookies are lightly browned and centers are still soft.

For the cinnamon chip version, I replaced the cocoa with 1/4 cup baker's cinnamon filling (available at King Arthur Flour) then reduced the sugar to a total of 1/2 cup (brown and white sugar combination). Follow the same procedure for making the cookie batter. Lastly, fold in 1/4 cup or more mini cinnamon chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment